An 18-year-old boy from Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh has suffered a significant loss of hearing after prolonged usage of true wireless stereo (TWS) earbuds. The incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential risks associated with excessive and continuous use of earphones, particularly when they are deeply inserted into the ear canals.
In today’s world, it’s hard to imagine life without earphones, especially when commuting in public transport or spending long hours in noisy office environments. However, the convenience they offer comes with its downsides. According to a report by TOI, the teenager lost his hearing due to an infection caused by the excessive and prolonged use of earphones.
Fortunately, the boy underwent surgery and has since regained his normal hearing. Medical professionals have highlighted the importance of ventilation for the ear canal, similar to the need for fresh air in our bodies. Wearing earbuds for extended periods can create a humid environment, making it ideal for bacteria and viruses to thrive. Sweat buildup, resulting from prolonged closure of the ear canal, can lead to infections.
“Just like our body, the ear canal also requires ventilation, and prolonged closure leads to the accumulation of sweat and subsequent infection,” explained doctors to TOI.
For individuals who frequently use TWS earbuds, it is crucial to exercise extra caution to prevent potential damage to their ears. Here are some steps to follow:
- Limit Usage: Avoid excessively long periods of continuous earphone usage to reduce the risk of ear-related issues.
- Take Breaks: Take regular breaks during extended usage sessions to allow your ears to rest and ventilate.
- Cleanliness: Maintain proper hygiene by cleaning your earbuds regularly, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Volume Control: Avoid listening at excessively high volumes, as it can contribute to hearing damage over time. Follow the recommended volume levels to protect your ears.
- Proper Fit: Ensure a comfortable and secure fit of the earbuds, preventing them from excessively penetrating the ear canals.
- Consult a Professional: If you experience any discomfort or unusual symptoms related to your hearing, consult a healthcare professional for guidance and examination.
By adhering to these preventive measures and adopting responsible earphone usage habits, individuals can help safeguard their hearing health. Remember, moderation and awareness are key to enjoying the benefits of earphones without compromising our well-being.